NASCAR reinstates Allmendinger

Allmendinger, 30, was placed on indefinite suspension for violating NASCAR’s
substance abuse policy when his “B” sample tested positive on July 24. After
failing the second drug test, NASCAR provided him with a letter outlining a
process for reinstatement by participating in its recovery program.
Allmendinger had been placed on temporary suspension for failing his initial
drug test, which he took the last weekend in June at Kentucky Speedway.

He is now cleared to compete in any one of NASCAR’s three national touring
series (Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Camping World Truck).

“I want to thank everyone for their support through this entire process,”
Allmendinger said in a statement. “I appreciate that NASCAR created the Road
to Recovery program and am grateful for the opportunity to return to
competition. The Road to Recovery program was really helpful to me in getting
my priorities reset away from the racetrack. And, honestly, that helped find
my love of racing again and why I began racing in the first place. I’m looking
forward to taking this experience and be better for it moving forward.”

Last month, Allmendinger said he tested positive for Adderall, a drug
typically prescribed for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Allmendinger also noted that he used the amphetamine only one time. NASCAR has
a policy of not revealing the actual substance.

Allmendinger was released from Penske Racing following his indefinite
suspension. However, team owner Roger Penske said this past weekend that he
would consider rehiring him. Allmendinger attended last Saturday’s IndyCar
Series season-ending race in Fontana, CA, as a guest of Team Penske.

Last December, Allmendinger replaced Kurt Busch in Penske’s No. 22 Dodge for
the 2012 Sprint Cup season. Sam Hornish Jr. has been driving the No. 22 since
the July 7 race at Daytona International Speedway. Joey Logano recently signed
with Penske to take over driving duties of that car, starting next season.

Allmendinger became the second Sprint Cup driver to be suspended since NASCAR
revised its drug policy prior to the start of the 2009 season. Jeremy Mayfield
failed a drug test in May ’09. Mayfield has not competed in a NASCAR race
since then and has continuously lost his legal battle with NASCAR in court.